Saturday, February 5, 2011

Karma: NUM NUM NUM

“What’s XO sauce?”
“XO, as in hugs and kisses, you know?”
“Oh, ok.”
So he ordered the Scallops with Hugs and Kisses and it was delicious. We were drawn into Karma on 22 South Broadway by the promise of $1 hot sake, and by godzilla, we dreamed it and it delivered. My entire meal of hot sake, pineapple wontons and sesame chicken with brown rice cost a grand total of ten dollars. I didn’t know that kind of happy hour existed on Broadway anymore. All this time we have been tricked into the Hornet for half ass teensie tapas and overpriced domestic beers ($3.50 Coors Light, really??), with the blessed Karma just down the street, sitting silently, and waiting for me. 
And for you.
Unlike most Asian inspired restaurants in Denver, there were things on the Karma menu that I had never seen before, served side by side with some adorable quirky accessories. I adored the sweating tin cups that the water is served in. Upon ordering a cocktail, I was pleasantly surprised to have it delivered to my table in a Hello Kitty glass with blinking ice cubes. The only problem is that now I can’t drink cocktails any other way. 
People came and went quickly like bees in a hive to pick up to go orders, but not a lot of people came and sat to eat. That made a quiet and mellow atmosphere to contemplate whether to use the provided chopsticks or western silver utensils to consume my noodles. I hope for Karma’s sake next time I go it will be busier, but for my dollar sake’s sake, my table better be open.

No comments:

Post a Comment