Monday, November 29, 2010

Saigon Palace: Noodle Bowl Wonderland

An ancient Vietnamese server brings out a round of tea and distributes small white porcelain glasses to a table of old ladies chirping like a tree of birds. They begin to sing a modest tune of “Happy Birthday” to one of their senior friends, a woman who looks like her name is Maude.  The whole restaurant joins in without getting boisterous, and my friend and I toast our ice cold Singha beers, which have been poured into vintage Denver Bronco beer mugs. “May you have a thousand more,” someone says, and the women laugh. It seems that we all have found some subtle joy at my new favorite Vietnamese restaurant, Saigon Palace.
A good amount my time is spent along the Broadway corridor; from Downtown Denver all the way to Littleton. I drive or ride my bike near and far, back and forth like a lazy shuttle run (oh you remember those torturous elementary class gymnasium runs from line to line to line). There is a distinct boundary that hipsters and foodies don’t cross on the Broadway strip, and that is likely near Flossy McGrews and Performance Cycle at Evans. Duty calls me past these known hipster haunts, for a higher purpose; my job. And no, I’m not a door to door Evangelist, so you can stop calling me Elder London; though coincidentally I am wearing a black suit and tie with a bike helmet on as we speak.  In my travels yonder south of Evans, there have been quite a few wonderful discoveries, my favorite being  Saigon Palace. Located on the corner of South Broadway and West Hampden across from a space ship looking bank that was likely envisioned in the 70’s. I promise that Saigon Palace is not some sort of front, unlike that African Tulip Shop down the way with grayed out windows and no one ever seen going in or out but always says “Open.” Saigon Palace serves a host of regular senior citizens from the residence nearby and Swedish Hospital medical staff across the way.  I noticed the server recognize several patrons and even ask if they were to have their “regular” entrees in broken English. My Sautéed Shrimp Rice Noodle bowl arrives in a timely manner and my friend and I cease to speak for the next fifteen minutes as we slip into a food fantasy land.
The bowl is my playground. The rice noodles caress my tired skin as I dive in. My egg roll crunches playfully and I play hide and go seek with the vegetables; layered lettuce, carrots, and bean sprouts mix with peanuts and spicey sautéed shrimp and fish sauce. My bowl is finished with a slurp. I have time to reflect and finish my cold beer. My friend says, “May you have a thousand more.”
Saigon Palace
3495 S. Broadway
Englewood, CO 80111

1 comment:

  1. Did your friend bring you into the Army Surplus across the street which somehow has more internal square footage than its external square footage should allow? It is a curiosity that defies the very laws of physics.
    Also they sell camouflaged condoms.

    ReplyDelete