Tuesday, March 15, 2011

SMUGS: RIP

It has come to my attention that in my two month absence of reality, one of my favorite shitty bars has closed. Smugs was a very special place for me. It was divey in the way that it was cheap and looked terribly decorated. But not divey-cool-divey, so I never had to fight B.O ridden Derelict looking hipsters for a good seat at the bar, or the bartenders attention for that matter. Sigh. Beers were cheap, and you could hear the buzz of busy Evans traffic racing by. I imagine the owner of Smugs having their dreams shattered when they realized they were not making any money and had to close; as my dreams too have died. No more $1.50 Bud lights and open pool table. No more people at the Evans & Downing bus stop peering in like curious children while we finish another pitcher and round of $3 shots. I only wish I could have done more; drank more to keep this carpeted and painted brick interior bar up and running. But alas, I was the only one there usually, and it's time to let go. Goodbye Smugs, may you find peace and live forever in our dizzy heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment